Friday, August 20, 2010

I have a 2001 BMW 530i without navigation. Is it possible to install an original BMW navigation in m

Here're some pros and cons for your decision making:



Factory NAV vs aftermarket unit:



Pros:



- Factory look and feel (no clutter)



- Big screen



- No risk of it stolen by ''smash-and-grab'' thieves



Cons:



- Extremely expensive!



- Installation nightmare



- Limited features (2D map display, no option for live traffic updates, does not play MP3, WMA/photo slideshows/video files...etc)



With many aftermarket GPS units with advanced features coming down in price, I believe the sensible way is to buy an aftermarket unit.



But for me, the way you INSTALL the aftermarket unit makes all the difference. I don't like wires running all over the car, and I certainly don't like something stuck on my windshield all the time.



So I run a hidden power cable to a KUDA mount (see url) and have my GPS mounted using some Scotch (EZpass type) fasterners.



I use the phone base rather than the one that blocks the air conditioning vents. It looks less intrusive and less clutter.



I have a 2001 BMW 530i without navigation. Is it possible to install an original BMW navigation in my car?symatec



Any qualified mechanic/fabricator will tell you you can put anything in anything....BUT...Cost and difficulty always raises its ugly head...In this case real ugly...The dash panels, wiring(maybe the whole dash harness)and more than likely the computer and its wiring harness would need to be changed..sounds like $4000.00 to me...and...maybe a lot more....My take is it would be a nightmare...i suggest you buy a high end Garmin unit and have Joe custom make you a classy looking enclosed permanent mounting housing and your Beemer will be a one of a kind, with a ''Hey..Thats Cool'' dashboard...You get an MP3 player wired in to get another plus

No comments:

Post a Comment